Sunday, September 9, 2012


DAY 1

(Apr. 23)

Yesterday I went around the whole place and fed all the animals one last time.  I said goodbye to them all in my own way.  Then I went to each of my family members and said goodbye in turn.  It was most difficult to say goodbye to my mother, because of her health I was conscious that it could very well be the last time I hugged her.  We talked about that though.  We decided together that if she were to leave while I was in Norway, that I would not end my journey and come home, instead she would come to where I was, in spirit.  It was also difficult saying goodbye to my faithful friend, my dog Adrienne, because she, like my mom could have easily passed while I was away.  She is 12 ½ years and we have been through a lot together. 

Everyone else; Brenda, my kids, I also had an emotional goodbye with, but I knew they would all be here when I got back, so in that regard it was different.  Fortunately, both my mother and Adrienne were here when I got back, and are still here as I write this.

In the afternoon I went out to dinner with Brenda at our favorite Mexican place, the Mayan.  We had a nice talk and a good dinner.  Then I came home and finished packing, and Brenda and I shared a beautiful ritual; a two person sumble.  It consists of ritual toasting to the Gods, the ancestors, and in this case, to each other.

Now I’m sitting here on a plane at Sea-Tac airport, in the window seat, wedged up against the wall like a bug on a windshield because the guy sitting next to me is as big as a house…he is huge!  Litterally twice my size, and I’m not a small guy.  This plane is headed to Minneapolis, there I will change planes and go to Newark New Jersey.

Today I will meet the 11 other cast members, I am extremely curious about that.  If Alt for Norge was an American show I could expect a wide range of bizarre personalities that would be sure to cause conflict and strife.  However, since it was a Norwegian show I was assured that they don’t do things like that, I am still skeptical though.   The types of personalities my future cast members have will directly affect the quality of my trip to Norway, so I was very curious indeed.

The next two days we will film the opening scenes of the show at Ellis Island, in New York; a fact I find extremely awesome in every way.  For one, I have always wanted to go to Ellis Island because it is an amazing place.  I have always been struck by the number of souls that went through it, all of them fueled by hope of a better life, all of them missing what they left behind, most of them very poor.  What strength they had, what courage!  Secondly, I was happy the show is starting this way because we will get to re-trace the very path our ancestors took to come to this country.  Today I am in awe of life, and I feel so blessed and humble that the Gods chose me for this.

Still in Minneapolis, the flight to Newark has been delayed, apparently there is a cargo door that won’t close.  I called the people waiting for me in Newark to let them know.  Oh well, it gives me a little time to write.

This morning as Brenda was driving me to the airport, which is about an hour away, she had her runes with her.  Mine were packed in my luggage so I had not done a rune draw that day.  Using her runes I asked the Norns what I needed to know for the day, what energies should prevail.  I drew Perthro.  I thought that was a perfect rune, very appropriate esoterically because I was casting my lot, trusting that what I have put in the well will sustain me and make me successful, and that is what Perthro means, the lot cup, or dice cup.  In addition, Perthro is number 14.  1 + 4 = 5, which is Raidho, which means wagon or journey…and I was sitting in an airport.  The runes are amazing.  Hail the Norns!

Speaking of the Gods and esoteric matters, It was Freya who I feel orchestrated this whole journey, and I feel she accompanies me even now.  I made a request, offered her gifts, and promises of gifts in the future, she responded by honoring my request.  It is important that I keep her in mind in everything I do.  This whole journey comes with a great deal of responsibility for me.  I am not only representing myself, but also my family, my kindred, Asatru as a religion, the ancestors, and the Gods.  I must keep my wits about me and act and react with right action at all times…it is very important.

The plane is moving.  Soon I will be in Newark looking for a woman waving a Norwegian flag in the airport…here we go.

4 comments:

  1. A great read. Thanks for posting Alf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. Alt for Norge is my favourite tv-show. Best of luck from Østfold, Norway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put your blog into my blog-roll to make sure I remember to read it!

    ReplyDelete