Wednesday, September 19, 2012


DAYS 13, 14
(May 6, 7)
Episode 2

DAY 13

The Hytte is cool this morning, but we will not start a fire.  Instead we will get dressed, eat, and leave this place, to the elimination competition.

I drew thurisaz this morning, extremely appropriate since I am in Jotunheim, and I am safe.  Thor is indeed with me, watching out for me, along with Freya, Freyr, and Tyr.  Hail the Gods of my ancestors!

DAY 14

Yesterday was pretty brutal emotionally.  Even though we contestants have only known each other for 14 days, we have become very close.  Partly I think because we are all genuine, all good people.  Partly because of an interesting dynamic that occurs when people are thrust into a common, isolated situation together.  I experienced this one other time when I was a new soldier in basic training, that was 32 years ago, but I still remember the names of those other men I served with, I can still see their faces, and if I ran into one of them on the street I would do anything for them.  A similar dynamic occurs among hostages, or extreme tragedy survivors, it’s very interesting.  And that is what had happened to us on Alt for Norge, at least to some degree.

The challenge was announced.  The five people would go into a room filled with objects for 8 minutes.  Then, they would be taken to another room where there would be a board full of pictures; some of which would be pictures of things that were in the room, some however would not.  The objects were all Norwegian in nature. 

In turn, based on the order that they left the first room they would select pictures.  Henriette would turn over their selection and if there was a green dot that meant they were correct and earned one point.  If the dot was red then they were wrong and earned no point.  As people earned three points they would be safe, the last person to not earn three point would have to leave Alt for Norge.  It was pretty tricky, some of the objects were very similar, but not the same.  In the room was a picture of the Norwegian royal couple, on the board a picture of the Swedish royal couple, a person had to pay very close attention.

The contest began.  C.J. didn’t miss any, and he was the first one safe, then Dana, then Jessica.  Now it was down to Barbara and Stephanie; Barbara had two points, and Stephanie had one.

We were all on the edge of our seats, even though we were standing.  They were both here for the right reasons, they both contributed and added something special to our group.  Being the first one to leave I think is extra hard.  It was kind of like watching two friends get a root canal with no anesthesia.  Ultimately, Stephanie lost.

I got choked up some during the whole goodbye process.  Not because I myself was that sad, after all…nobody died, it is a competition and someone has to lose.  I got choked up because there was so much sadness around me, and I felt bad for Stephanie being the first one to go.  Stephanie is really cool, I like her a lot.  We had some good talks; she was bullied as a child like I was, and like me, she prevailed.  She is strong for her age and she has a fun personality.  She will be missed among us.

This morning I drew perthro, the lot cup, appropriate since we are rolling the dice and starting a new episode somewhere that remains a mystery.  Also interesting; perthro is number 14, 1+4 =5, which is raidho, the wagon…and today is a travel day.

We just found out that tomorrow we are getting on a plane.  It is very strange to get on a plane and have no idea where you are going…extremely interesting though.

3 comments:

  1. I really love the show, but it's so hard to keep the tears back when someone has to go. I know we're many who wish that you could all stay until the end, and then a winner would be chosen (if it had to be just one), but I guess the production company and those in charge has reasons for why they are doing things the way they do.

    I don't really know how to formulate the following in the best way, but reading that such strong and amazing people like you also has been bullied as children gives me hope and makes me think that there might be hope for me too. (: Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You make me so proud to be Norwegian and share your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alf, Sorry to see you had to go from "Alt for Norge" today, but not nearly as sorry as my 7 year old son. He has cried for hours now, and he cried while falling to sleep. For sure, you made a great impression on him, and the rest of us for that matter.
    If you ever decide to come to Norway again, you should stop by the Hanseatic city of Norway, wich also happens to be the second largest city....Bergen. We live just outside the city, a place called Åsane.
    You will love it, and for sure, It would make my son freak out...hehe.
    Have a splendid winter to come.
    Huge regards from Ruth(36), Thomas(38), Marlene(10), Jesper(7) & Fanny(4)

    ReplyDelete