Monday, September 10, 2012


DAY 2

(Apr. 24)

 Last night I met most of the other cast members, I met the rest of them today.  They are definitely an interesting group; 12 different slices of humanity that would not normally cross paths in nature.  In meeting them I was reminded of a lesson I learned many years ago when I joined the Army; people are just people.  I joined the Army in 1980, once in I couldn’t tell who was a hippie, who was a stoner, who was a rocker, or a cowboy or anything…because they all had short hair and they were all wearing green.  So, I got to know people I wouldn’t have otherwise.  It was similar with the Alt for Norge cast; they were not all wearing green…but we were all there because we were Norwegian, and we were all contestants on the same show, we had all left our homes to be there in Newark, and that provided enough in common for instant bonds to form.

I’ll talk about the other contestants now, the guys first.  I will stray from my journal here and talk about how I know them now, rather than when I first met them.

There was Todd.  I had something in common with him because I used to sell real estate also.  He is a great guy, who loves his children and his wife.  He was quiet at first, but the more time that went on the more of Todd we got to know.  He is hilarious, a fantastic sense of humor which also makes me assume he is intelligent.  Like me, Todd sometimes likes to listen more than he talks, because you learn more that way.  He was 30 something, in decent shape, likes to play basketball, and he worked out whenever he got the chance.  There is one thing that really sticks out about Todd though; he is extremely helpful.  It isn’t contrived, he isn’t helpful hoping to get something out of it, he just genuinely likes to help people and in my estimation, that makes him a stellar human being.  Todd said he is going to visit one day with his whole family, and I can’t wait to meet them.  I am proud to consider him my friend. 

 

Ok, Austin.  When I first met Austin and found out he was a male model I have to confess that I was doing some judging.  I made assumptions initially about Austin based only on what he did and what he looked like.  You have to understand; I come from a total blue color background.  Where I come from men are judged by the quality and quantity of their work, and not much else, good looks are something only women worry about.  So, imagine my surprise when my ignorant ass had to totally change my mind during my first conversation with him.  Turns out, Austin is a great guy.  One of the most genuine down to earth guys I have met for his age…ever.  He is smart, clever, and funny.  He has deep feelings and a good business head on his shoulders, which I respect.  He happens to be a model because it is something he does well that he enjoys.  One thing I especially enjoyed about Austin was strategizing with him before and after competitions.  We thought very much alike in that regard, and it was fun.  He is far ahead of his years in some respects, and he will always have a place around my fire, which means I consider him a true friend. 

 

C.J.  C.J. is a very interesting fellow.  He is actually younger than I first thought he was.  Not a super easy guy to get to know, he seemed to have a few walls up.  I engaged him whenever I saw an opportunity though, partly because I was curious.  I have great respect for stand up comics; I think it is one of the bravest things a person can do.  So, I was curious about how he got into it and what it was like.  During the process of learning about C.J.’s comic career I got to really start to know the man.  He talked about his family, his friends, his childhood.  As time went on our conversations became a little deeper, bordering on philosophy and intimate family dynamics.  I came to like C.J. very, very much, to the point that I almost considered him like an adopted son, I care about him a great deal.  I never told him that, but it is so.  C.J. is a human that has incredible potential, and the time to make use of it…I really hope he does and I would like very much to see him again. 

 

Dana.  Dana is my bro to use his vernacular.  Right away I noticed his laid back demeanor, he was friendly to everyone, and he was polite in that he would always stop talking to hear what someone else had to say.  He was very funny…and at the same time he had sort of an edge.  The edge I refer to is not a bad thing, it’s like he would just get tired of conforming at times and start dancing to the beat of his own drummer.  We would all be going this way, and Dana would be going that way.  It used to drive our “mama’s” that were looking over us crazy, but I found it endearing.  He wasn’t malicious or mean spirited at all…sometimes he just wanted to do what Dana wanted to do, and I loved that about him.  Like a spirited young horse who always fights the reigns…that was Dana.  On a personal level, one on one,  Dana is a prince.  In spite of his seemingly erratic behavior at times, he has a depth of spirit that few people possess.   I’m not sure, but I think he is a student of humanity much like myself; he has seen a lot, done a lot, and has learned by it all.  Dana is a person that I wish was related to me; I would love to be his uncle, and I look forward to the day he darkens my door. 

 

Jonathan.  Jonathan is unlike anyone I have ever known, which is saying a lot because I have known lots of people.  I’ll make no bones about it, he is very different from me, but I don’t think that is a secret.  We have polar opposite backgrounds, philosophies, body types, and demeanors, and yet…there is just something kind of loveable about the guy.  I think it is his genuine-ness, or, maybe it is the fact that he just continues to be himself at all times, oblivious or just not caring what anyone one else thinks.  I respect both of those possibilities.  There are certain things that cannot be disputed about him; he is very intelligent and educated, he cares a great deal about other people, he has a child-like nature that women can’t resist, he has a good sense of humor, and he is a horrible card player.  I’m laughing right now, inside story…I honestly don’t know what Jonathan thinks of me, but I hope he knows I genuinely liked him, even if I didn’t always understand him. 

 

And Now the girls.

 

Tara.  Tara was the woman I bonded with first.  Actually first I was scared of her because she was so dang pretty…makes me nervous.  But as soon as I talked to her I realized how down to earth she was.  We shared a lot in common; our love of animals and nature, and a disdain for certain elements of pop culture among them.  We had many great conversations about lots of things.  Tara is someone I know I will always feel comfortable with no matter how much time passes in between, because she is 100% real.  That I consider her a friend goes without saying.  I look forward to seeing her again in the future. 

 

Mary Caryl…is also unlike anyone I have ever met.  When we first met I was impressed by her industriousness.  After all, she is a candy maker, a clothing designer, a cosmetics makes, and a pole dancer…in addition to being a wife and a mother.  Who wouldn’t be impressed?  She is also the most flexible person I have ever met…I can’t even touch my elbows together in front of me.  I didn’t have that many conversations with Mary Caryl for some reason, I wish I would have because I didn’t get to know her as well as I could have, but she always did her best and was nice to everybody. 

 

Amy.  Amy is like my adopted daughter, she reminded me in many ways of my daughter Gurine.  She is funny and sweet and kind, but can also be very serious, especially when it comes to competitions.  Because she works in a daycare she would sometimes go into “mommy mode” and start telling us all what to do, I found that very entertaining, to see a young girl ordering around a bunch of older people.  It didn’t happen too often though.  Amy is also emotional, like me.  We spent a lot of time talking about matters close to the heart, and I hope to again in the future. 

 

Barbara.  Barbara was one of the older folks along with me and Mary Caryl.  Because of our age we had a little more in common than we did with some of the younger folks, for example Barbara and I knew the lyrics to the same songs, songs some of the others had never heard of.  Barbara lives in Portland, just about two hours from me where she is a writer.  She has come to my house a couple times to visit since the show was over, we gave her daughter some chickens.  I expect I will see Barbara now and then for years to come.  She is a great person that I consider a friend. 

 

Stephanie.  Well, Stephanie was the first to go home, but in the couple weeks we were together I got to know her pretty well.  For such a young person she thinks and feels very deep, she is very genuine and open.  We both had some similar childhood incidents that we both overcame.  I respect the fact that she faces life head-on and follows her dreams whatever they are.  It’s too bad that we only got a couple weeks with her, but hopefully I will see her again someday, maybe at the next Alt for Norge reunion. 

 

Jessica.  Jessica is an amazing person.  She is on a perpetual mission of self discovery and realization.  I saw her accomplish much within herself on this journey, I saw her realize new things, and it was great to watch.  She is very spiritual, and we had some fascinating discussions about Asatru, Yoga, Christianity, the works.  Jessica has a lot of energy, and lives in the moment more than most people do.  She is supposed to visit me one day, and I look forward to it. 

 

So there are the other cast members.  This was a very busy day, full of interviews and meetings.  Tomorrow will be all about our Ellis Island visit, and I am totally stoked about that.  In one of my interviews I found out that we will be flying into Sweden, and then entering Norway by some other means…interesting.  If we walk into Norway it would be a good time to do a ritual of gratitude to Freya, we’ll see how it goes.

This evening we had a meeting with all the cast and crew, I am so impressed with the Norwegians, it seems like a very professional, well put together organization.  During Dinner Jessica asked me more about Asatru, Tara talked about the show wondering what types of competitions we would be doing.  So far, Dana, Todd, Tara and Jessica are the ones who are the easiest for me to talk to, but I havn’t had much time with the others yet.

This morning I drew Nauthiz, need-fire.  I was reminded by it that I need to pay attention, focus on the task at hand, and always remember why I am here.  Good advice, it would be easy to get distracted in all this hubbub.  Had a good talk with Brenda on the phone this evening, one of our last before they take my phone away.

1 comment:

  1. "In one of my interviews I found out that we will be flying into Sweden, and then entering Norway by some other means…interesting"

    Interesting. I was actually discussing this with my wife; was the entry to Norway and the first time you saw the country an act or did you actually board the boat in Sweden? I'm glad I found out :D

    ReplyDelete